Thursday, July 4, 2013

Lazy days, happy days

What is your favorite thing to do on your vacation?
How about nothing? :) Well technically we did do something, but we had no particular plan for the day, and it felt great.
Hannah, Bitja and Sam went jogging in the morning, Mom and Dad went shopping and Kathryn, Berit and I went bike-riding. We borrowed some bikes that are here at the cabin, and just went up and down hills and roads with no particular destination. There are a ton of beautiful summer houses in the area, and it looks like a lot of rich people live here. We don't let them bother us though. :)
For lunch my parents brought home some fresh seafood. Shrimp and a couple of crabs. Gothenburgh is right on the Atlantic Ocean, so it is the place to get seafood. Dad never opened a crab before, and I don't think that his pocket-knife and the backside of an axe are the preferred tools... we had pieces of crab hanging from the ceiling of the gazebo (not a lie, but possibly slightly exaggerated), but at least he had the good judgement to do it outside.
After lunch we went back to the island to have coffee, but there seems to be a rain-cloud waiting for us every time we head out there, so we had to turn around and go back to the cabin.
We spent the afternoon doing an abbreviated Tuesday, or Wednesday (depending on when your meeting night is) meeting as a family since the local congregations have their convention this weekend, and there was no meeting for us to go to.
We had a very simple dinner, and then spent the evening watching some British show on TV.
For 2 points on today's quiz - what is for sale in the shed next to Kathryn in this picture?
For a bonus 10 points - which one of the items on sale is my favorite? :)

Sadly, they were closed, but Hannah and I heard the sound of the Swedish equivalent of mr Ding-a-Ling in the neighborhood, so we hopped on our bikes and decided to chase him down. You might have figured this out by now, but the area where we are staying is very hilly and littered with tiny roads, so I got another opportunity to exercise in the same day.
After going up, down and then back up again we managed to find it and I bought a special ice-cream treat that you can only get from the ice-cream truck. It's punsch flavored ice-cream with chocolate chunks in it. Amazing...
For another 4 bonus points. What is the Swedish liquor punsch made from?



7 comments:

  1. Since I am the resident liqueur expert - punsch is made from Arrack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream is for sale on the sign - my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what your favorite is, but I will guess orange cremesicle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to guess something with strawberry and banana in it. :-) Went to Karen's today. I think they miss you. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. But what is Arrack? Either the fermented sap of coconut flowers, sugarcane, grain (e.g. red rice) or fruit, depending upon the country of origin.

    Your favorite ice cream on that flyer is the peach solero.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sale poster is ice cream and your favorite is the one with the cone coated with chocolate and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Punsch is made from Arrack which is fermented coconut flowers, sugar cane, or fruit.

    ReplyDelete