Friday, July 5, 2013

Citylife

This was the day we got to enjoy the good things the city has to offer. I haven't been in Gothenburgh too many times, and definitely not in the past 20 years, so it was all new to me.
Our first stop for the day was at the fish church. No, it's not a place where they worship fish (if it was, I'm sure the fish-gods would be mightily upset at how many dead fishes you can find in there) but it is a huge fish-market in a building that is slightly church-shaped.
We got to see all kinds of seafood, and we bought our lunch there. I settled for really fresh fish and chips, since I'm allergic to shellfish, while Kathryn got a shellfish salad that she was very happy with.
After enjoying our food, we headed out to paint the town grey. Why grey you might ask... well so far this week, that's been the weather. Not really the sunny vacation we've been hoping for, but on the bright side, it hasn't been pouring either, so it's still enjoyable, even though it's not as warm as we would like.
Some of the sights were a really neat indoors market where they had all kinds of cheese, meat, vegetables and other snacks for sale, a statue with a familiar name engraved (Quiz: What is the quote? (3 points) Where is it from? (3 points) and What king had this quote as his motto? (You guessed it, another 3 points)) and also a very neat botanical garden.
They had all kinds of plants in the garden. We walked inside of the palm house where they had a lot of different plants that aren't native to Sweden's climate such as Palms (duh), cacti, big leaves floating on water (yes, I was just too lazy to look it up on the internet... 2 points to whomever gets the information out there...) and a duck with ducklings. Actually, that was just a duck walking through the exotic park... but it doesn't matter it is local, cute knows no boundaries.
Talking about cute, I made a photo composition I call "Roses among Roses" This one could win some kind of prize.
The had a piece of art there called the cactus factory... I looked pretty cool, and now we need to recreate that in our backyard.
Before we left, Hannah took an opportunity to do something that is probably forbidden, and I have a photo to prove it. We didn't see any signs saying not to pose with the statue, so we let her get away with it, but if it ever comes out on the news, I have proof.
My parents treated everyone to a really nice Italian restaurant in the evening. Kathryn had what she refers to as "The best salmon I have ever eaten", and I had some really nice rump-steak. No I did not just pick it because it had a funny name...
For dessert Kathryn had some tiramisu and I had a drink that Kathryn thought looked funny. I don't know why...
We ended the evening on a high note by finding a candy store that advertised the biggest candy selection in Gothenburgh... I was overwhealmed, but managed to limit myself to 2.2 pounds of candy. You should be proud of me!



As for yesterdays scoring, Tom managed to rake in 6 points, and no one got the amazing 10 point bonus. My favorite is the white chocolate strawberry magnum. I will give LaM half since she did guess there was strawberry in it... :)














8 comments:

  1. The big leaved water plant is a Victoria amazonica, my favorite since it can be ordered from it's parent Amazon. Street name is Giant Water Lily, or Water Platter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the statue is of King Charles IX - though I am still working on the quote

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the quote? (3 points) Still working on this part
    Where is it from? (3 points)The text on the foot of the Kopparmärra Statue is taken from King Karl IX’s notes to his court chaplain. It was King Oscar II who inaugurated the statue in the year 1904.
    What king had this quote as his motto? King Charles IX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! It was difficult tracking down info about that statue. King Charles' motto was 'Iehovah Solatium Meum' or Jehovah is My Solace, or Jehovah Comforts Me. Very interesting that he founded the 'Jehovah Order'. Seems like a few of the Swedish Kings honored Jehovah's name.

    I feel bad taking all the points so I will let someone else tell us where it is from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy I have to get up pretty early in the morning to get you. No problem. I often get up fairly early. Not going to tell you what time so you don't try to set your alarm.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quote says God is my Comfort - or Jehovah is my comfort. Psalm 62:6.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do get up early!

    BTW - that fish needs a dentist bad!

    ReplyDelete